Every year, we hear from hundreds of prospective clients; couples who are excitedly engaged and looking to reserve our services or book at one of the venues we manage. Through a series of qualifying questions, we typically arrange to meet with 20% of those initial inquiries and then work with 50% of those who meet with us.
Aside from the usual questions on date, venue preference, budget and guest count, etc., one of our key questions is around ‘vision’ or ‘inspiration’ for your event. A surprising percentage of couples don’t have one or have difficulty in communicating this to us.
Sometimes we receive mixed messages through a plethora of Pinterest interests and staged photos. One example was a client who asked for a white tent, but every photo sent was of a clear-top tent. It turned out; the bride really wanted a clear-top tent but didn’t realize this was an option.
The better we get to know each couple, the better we can advise, guide and assist in providing them with an event that will forever live in their hearts. This is why we ask so many questions and arrange to meet with our clients on site. It’s about building a relationship so we can best deliver on your ‘vision’ even if you aren’t quite sure what that is yet.
Years ago, we borrowed from one of our industry leaders and started asking couples to provide 2 – 3 inspiration photos to help us identify what spoke to their hearts. This doesn’t necessarily mean other people’s wedding photos. In fact, it’s better if it isn’t a wedding photo at all. Rather, a favorite painting, landscape, vacation photo or family photo that evokes a feeling of happiness.
Inspired by favourite photos
So much can be drawn from the photos you provide us. As we review each photo, thoughts and imagery provoke ideas of how to incorporate these feelings into your wedding.
For example, the photo below could inspire a woodland theme:
- outdoor, tented reception
- frame tent so we can hang greenery to create a tree top canopy feel
- grass floor
- rustic decor (gold and green and wood grain)
- antique gold or sage tablecloths with complimenting napkins
- tall gold or wood centrepieces with branches and LED twinkle lights
- runs of ruscus, eucalyptus or myrtle
- harvest style seating
Or this photo could inspire a winter wonderland theme even in the middle of summer:
- indoor reception
- silver grey tablecloths with crisp white napkins
- decor lighting in white and blue
- ‘snow’ filled glass centrepieces with LED white lights and birch branches
- vinyl wrapped dance floor with a monogram
- gobo projected snowflakes
- miniature ice sculptures
- iceberg inspired wedding cake
- signature mini milkshakes or a hot chocolate bar
Lastly, this photo could inspire bringing the warmth of Italy to your event:
- indoor or outdoor Italian themed event
- colour in white, red, green and complimenting pale yellows & gold
- red tablecloths with white napkins
- floating candle centrepieces surrounded by red & green grapes on antique mirrored chargers
- gold rimmed glass and table ware
- runs of Italian ruscus
- baskets of fresh Italian bread
- decor lighting in amber or blue
- vintage wine bar
- Italian background music
Wherever inspiration is drawn from, we can brainstorm to draw out what will make events unique and meaningful. True authenticity comes from the heart.